James E Blogwick

You know, stuff I find interesting

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Monday, December 19, 2005

Las Posada

The diversity of living in East LA. On Friday night we went to a local Posada celebration. While I’m very familiar with traditional American Christmas celebrations and traditions, this was a first for me. I apologize if I misrepresent the symbolism, if you know better than I, please leave a comment. Here’s a reference that tells a more complete story.

Basically the Posada is a Mexican tradition that recounts the journey of Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem, where the baby Jesus was born. We met at the community garden, and candles in hand, proceeded down the street looking for shelter.

There was no room at the inn. We were lead by a small nativity scene, and a boy and a girl dressed as Mary and Joseph.

The crowd sang songs and prayed prayers, the Spanish song sheet didn’t do me a lot of good, but I joined in with Silent Night.

When we returned to the garden the gats were closed,

we asked for entry and lodging, and after some back and forth, the gates were cast open and the party began. There was a very tasty fry bread with cinnamon sugar, "Ponche con Piquete” (Punch with Sting) (rum), and Pinatas for the children.

The Posada continues for nine days, until December 24th, a progresive party starting each night where the party was the night before, and lead by Mary and Joseph to that night’s festivities. Each time being turned away before reaching the final destination.

A wonderful time was had by all, and there was no mention of Santa, selling, or for that matter, English.

feliz navidad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home